Are you planning a trip to Kerala and wondering when is the best time to visit? Kerala, located in the south-western part of India, is a popular tourist destination known for its serene backwaters, lush green forests, scenic hill stations, and beautiful beaches. Kerala's tropical climate is a significant aspect of the state's tourism industry, and it is essential to understand the weather patterns before planning a trip to Kerala. In this article, we will provide a comprehensive guide to Kerala's climate, the best time to visit Kerala, and the unique experiences available in the state.
Kerala has a tropical climate with three distinct seasons: summer, monsoon, and winter.
- The summer season in Kerala begins in February and lasts until May. During this period, temperatures range from 29°C - 38°C, and humidity levels are high.
- The monsoon season in Kerala begins in June and lasts until September. This period is characterized by heavy rainfall, with an average of 3000mm per year. While the monsoon season can be a unique experience in Kerala, it is not the best time for sightseeing or outdoor activities.
- The winter season in Kerala begins in October and lasts until February. The average temperature during this period ranges from 23°C - 32°C. The humidity levels are also lower during this time, making it a more comfortable time for travelers.
Best Time to Visit Kerala
Kerala, known for its diverse tourist attractions, experiences a tropical climate throughout the year. However, the best time to visit is during the slightly cooler, dry season that runs from December through February.
- Beaches: Kerala's stunning beaches, including Kovalam and Varkala, are a delight to visit during the cooler months.
- Backwaters: The serene backwaters of Alleppey, Kumarakom, and others offer a unique experience, best enjoyed from December to February.
- Hill Stations: The hill stations of Munnar, Wayanad, Thekkady, and others, with their milder climate, are a refreshing retreat during the cooler months.
- Wildlife Sanctuaries: The wildlife sanctuaries of Periyar, Silent Valley, and others, teeming with diverse flora and fauna, are best visited from December to February.
- Waterfalls: The majestic waterfalls of Athirappilly, Vazhachal, and others are a sight to behold, especially during the cooler months.
- Historical Monuments: Historical monuments like Mattancherry Palace, Bekal Fort, and others offer a glimpse into Kerala's rich history and culture, best explored from December to February.
- Religious Sites: Religious sites like Sabarimala Temple, Guruvayur Temple, and others, are open to visitors throughout the year, but the cooler months offer a more comfortable visit.
Please note that the weather conditions can vary, and it's always a good idea to check the current weather and forecasts before planning your visit.
The Ideal Months to Visit Kerala
The ideal time to visit Kerala is during the winter season, from October to February. During this period, the weather is pleasant, with milder temperatures and lower humidity levels, making it perfect for sightseeing and outdoor activities. The winter season is also the peak tourist season in Kerala, so it is advisable to book your accommodation and activities in advance to avoid any last-minute hassles.
The Off-Season in Kerala and Its Weather
The off-season in Kerala is from March to May, with high temperatures and humidity levels. While this period may not be the best time for sightseeing and outdoor activities, travelers can still enjoy the beaches and backwaters of Kerala during this time. The off-season also offers travelers the advantage of lower prices for accommodation and activities, making it an excellent time for budget travelers.
Kerala Rainy Season and Its Weather
The rainy season in Kerala is from June to September, characterized by heavy rainfall. While the monsoon season can be a unique experience in Kerala, it is not the best time for sightseeing or outdoor activities. The heavy rainfall can cause flooding and landslides, making it challenging to travel around the state. However, if you are an adventure seeker, you can enjoy activities like trekking and river rafting during this period.
Kerala's Climate by Region
The coastal region of Kerala, which includes popular destinations like Kochi, Kovalam, and Varkala, experiences a tropical climate throughout the year. The best time to visit the coastal region is from October to February, when the temperatures are milder, and the humidity levels are lower. During this time, travelers can enjoy the beaches, backwaters, and local seafood delicacies.
The hill stations of Kerala, including Munnar, Wayanad, and Thekkady, offer a pleasant escape from the heat and humidity of the coastal regions. The hill stations experience a milder climate throughout the year, with temperatures ranging from 15°C - 25°C. The best time to visit the hill stations is from October to February when the weather is pleasant, and travelers can enjoy activities like trekking, camping, and wildlife safaris.
The backwaters of Kerala, which include popular destinations like Alleppey and Kumarakom, offer a unique experience for travelers looking to relax and unwind. The backwaters experience a tropical climate throughout the year, and the best time to visit is from October to February when the weather is pleasant, and travelers can enjoy activities like houseboat cruises and village tours.
Unique Experiences in Kerala
Kerala offers a variety of unique experiences for travelers, including Ayurvedic massages, Kathakali performances, and traditional boat races. The state is also known for its cultural festivals like Onam and Vishu, which offer a glimpse into Kerala's rich cultural heritage. Travelers can also indulge in local cuisine, including seafood delicacies like Karimeen Pollichathu and Meen Curry.
As a frequent traveler to Kerala, I would recommend visiting during the winter season if you are looking to enjoy the beaches, backwaters, and hill stations. I visited Kerala in November, and the weather was perfect for outdoor activities like trekking, camping, and houseboat cruises. I also got to witness the local festivals and events, which added to my overall experience.
Kerala is a beautiful state with a tropical climate that offers unique experiences for travelers throughout the year. The best time to visit Kerala is from October to February when the weather is pleasant, and travelers can enjoy the state's diverse attractions. Whether you are looking to relax on the beaches, explore the backwaters, or indulge in local cuisine, Kerala has something to offer for every traveler. Plan your trip to Kerala and experience the beauty and diversity of this magnificent state.
- It is advisable to carry an umbrella or raincoat during the monsoon season.
- Book your accommodation and activities in advance, especially during the peak season.
- Try local delicacies like Appam, Puttu, and Kerala-style beef fry for an authentic culinary experience.
Questions & Answers
What is the best time to visit Kerala?
The best time to visit Kerala is from September to March.
How is the weather in Kerala during the rainy season?
The rainy season in Kerala is from June to August, with heavy rains.
Who should visit Kerala during the monsoon season?
Travellers who love the monsoon and want to experience it should visit Kerala during the rainy season.
What are the advantages of visiting Kerala during the off-season?
The off-season in Kerala offers cheaper rates, fewer crowds, and a more relaxed atmosphere.
How can I avoid the crowds in Kerala during peak season?
Visit less popular destinations, and travel during weekdays to avoid the crowds in Kerala during peak season.
Isn't it difficult to travel in Kerala during the monsoon season?
Not necessarily. Many tourist attractions remain open, and the rain adds to the natural beauty of Kerala.